For the third consecutive year, Portugal has taken the top prize in the category of “Best Golf Destination in the World” at the World Golf Awards.
Portugal also won the title of “Best European Golf Destination”, defeating traditional destinations competing in the same category such as England, Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales, France, Germany, Spain, Turkey and Italy.
There are currently 91 golf courses in Portugal, of which 66 are 18 or 27-hole.
The Algarve is the region with the largest number of golf courses in Portugal (44%), followed by the Greater Lisbon area (17.58%).
The country’s cultural aspect, gastronomy and wines, beaches, history, variety of landscapes, and, above all, the hospitality of the Portuguese people, are certainly distinguishing elements that make Portugal an excellent golf destination. And it has not gone unnoticed! Portugal as a whole and various regions within the country have won several prizes over the past few years, including:
- Portugal, Best Golf Destination in the World – in 2014, 2015 and 2016 by the World Golf Awards;
- Portugal, Best Golf Destination in Europe – in 2014 and 2015 by the World Golf Awards;
- Portugal, Best Golf Destination in the World – in 2013 by the World Travel Awards;
- Portugal, Best Golf Destination in Europe – in 2013 by the World Travel Awards
- Lisbon Golf Coast, Best Golf Destination in Europe in 2016 by IAGTO – International Association of Golf Tour Operators;
- Algarve, Best Golf Destination in Europe for 2014 by IAGTO – International Association of Golf Tour Operators;
- Algarve, Best Golf Destination in Europe in 2015, 2013 and 2012 – “Today’s Golfer” Magazine – UK (best value for money) – Best value destination.
The World Golf Awards aims to stimulate the Golf tourism industry. The results are compiled from the online votes of professionals in the sector, specialized tour operators, the media dedicated to golf, and the general public.
With so much going for it, there’s no better time to Discover Portugal!