Casa da Serra
"Old-World Style with all the Mod-Cons" - Reviewed by Lisa
Portugal is currently the “hot” new destination, it’s being discovered by people from all over the world who are curious to see what this little land has to offer. What many of them do not find is the Beiras area – an out-of-the-way location that offers incredible beauty, genuinely warm hospitality and very little in the way of upscale accommodation.
Casa da Serra, therefore, is a little jewel hidden away behind the old walls of a characteristic Beiras village. It offers a fresh twist on village life with bedroom suites housed in lovingly-restored village residences.
Casa da Serra retains all its Old World charm as well as a modern contemporary building near the pool. A cluster of cozy homes located next to one another make an ideal spot for experiencing the best of the local countryside.
Rent the whole home or by the room. It’s also a great venue for a chic, rural party, a wedding or other special occasion. You can dance around the private pool and in the lovely gardens until the cock’s crow.
Accommodations leave no doubt as to where you are – the decor is tasteful Beiras countryside. Antiques pepper the bedrooms as do lacy white curtains, floral runners, ceramic chickens and recycled doors.
Casa da Serra makes a perfect getaway all year round. With its generous swimming pool and lush gardens, it makes a lovely summer retreat and, with a cozy living room and fireplaces, it’s equally welcoming in the winter months.
The owners are also delighted to show off their beautiful reserve – The Farm – which includes miles of magnificent countryside in which to hike and learn about the local flora and fauna.
- Swimming pool
- Snack bar
- Breakfast room
- Dining room with bar
Bedrooms and Bathrooms
Casa da Serra does not offer luxury accommodation but very comfortable, well-kept, rural suites with lots of love and attention to detail.
Bedroom suites are either housed in the 3 front cottages above the dining and breakfast rooms or in a new, contemporary-style building in the gardens by the pool.
All bedrooms are totally unique – each with its own motif from chintzy Victoriana to cowhide and bamboo! The largest rooms, as you would expect, are the ones in the modern wing. Bathrooms come in all shapes and sizes but all are immaculately clean.
Sleeps 2 – Two Twin/King-size bed. Large room in a new building. Views over the fields and neighborhood chickens. En-suite bathroom with tub.
Sleeps 2 – Two Twin/King-size bed. Large upstairs room in a new building. En-suite bathroom with tub.
Sleeps 2 – Two Twin/King-size bed. Large room overlooking the garden in a new building. En-suite bathroom with shower.
BEDROOM 4 (BI-LEVEL SUITE)
Sleeps 2 – Double bed. The bedroom is on the upper level. Living room with sofa-bed and en-suite bathroom with shower on the lower level.
Sleeps 2 – Two Twin/King-size bed. Large en-suite bathroom with shower.
Sleeps 3 – Double bed plus an additional room with Twin bed. En-suite bathroom with tub.
Sleeps 2 – Two Twin/King-size bed. En-suite bathroom with tub.
ALL BEDROOMS INCLUDE GOOD-QUALITY SHEETS AND TOWELS, TOILETRIES AND HAIRDRYERS.
Old stone walls, a welcoming entrance patio, exterior stairs and a wooden balcony all add up to a well-restored, quaint and quirky, country classic.
Summer days will be spent idling away the hours poolside with nothing but the sounds of neighboring chickens and busy bees to disturb you. When you’re not out sightseeing, hiking, biking and exploring local wineries, the inviting family room will beckon. A warm and friendly room with various seating areas and a place for everybody, it’s the perfect place to curl up with a good book or indulge in a board game.
A buffet breakfast is served daily with an array of local fruits, home-made jams and pastries served by attentive – if somewhat shy – staff.
Snacks and evening dinner can also be arranged and taken in the fun bar. Food is prepared by the household staff.
- Living room with fireplace
- Breakfast room
- Poolside snack bar
- Powder room
- Pool and extensive gardens
- Serviced kitchen with staff
Rental Price Includes
- Daily housekeeping
- Daily breakfast and snack service
- On-site host to advise on local experiences
Know Before You Go
- Not a luxury property but very comfortable and cozy
- Simple buffet breakfast served daily
- The area may be isolated but there is LOTS to do
- Need a car to get around
Staff and Services
- Wait staff
- Kitchen staff
Kids Services & Activities
- Child-proof pool area
- Crib / highchair / infant toys and amenities rental service.
- Please contact us for details.
Activities Available On-Site or Nearby
- Vineyard visits and wine tastings, vintage car museum, golf, white-water rafting, 40km hiking /biking/skating/running trail, mountain hiking, local village visits, river fishing, picnics, thermal baths
Indulge in unique experiences only available at this property. The owners are super-enthusiastic to show you the beauty of their nearby farm. Tours are only available to guests at Casa do Lupo.
- Hike throughout the pretty acres and observe the region’s fabulous flora and birds.
- How about trying your hand at picking olives?
- Visit a restored mill where flour is once again being produced.
Picnics – Tripwix Style
- We suggest you take a long walk under the leafy trees, up the gently-sloping hills, climb over the granite walls and contemplate the lovely spot to sit and take in the amazing views. As if by magic, we’ll appear with a delicious picnic complete with local Dão wine or a freshly poured G ‘n T! What could be sweeter? Stay and watch the sun slip away or take an exotic breather and beat the heat of the afternoon.
Charitable Tourism – Human Connections
The owners believe very strongly in giving back to the area. The result of their passion is the highly successful and extremely well-run “Lapa do Lobo Foundation”.
Guests are invited to take a walk through the village to the loving updated homes that now call the Foundation home. The auditorium, the shop, the library, the computer center – all are an ongoing labour of love. What a delightful place to visit, learn and get involved!
- Itinerary planning – pre and post-arrival
- Round-trip airport transportation
- Private tour guide
- Chauffeured transportation
- Grocery shopping service
- Babysitting services
- Organizing car and golf cart rentals
- Booking tours, excursions and restaurant reservations
- Other services may be available – just ask!