Contemporary chic style housed within an ancient treasure
"Contemporary chic style housed within an ancient treasure.” - Reviewed by Deborah
DEBORAH PERFECT PICK “An unrivalled treat where you can bask like nobility in a medieval tower furnished like a Wallpaper Magazine cover shot.”
Ever wanted to play Rapunzel – or Petrosinella as the original Italian version of the story is called? Here’s your chance to live a modern fairy tale amidst awe-inspiring landscape and sleek contemporary interior design. Whatever role you take — prince or princess, king or queen… you can expect a happily-ever-after getaway in this fabulous historic home.
Built in the 12th century and carefully renovated in 2010, when we say this is a medieval tower, we really mean it! With 5 levels in total, including a fabulous rooftop terrace, you can imagine yourself ruler of all you survey. What you see today is the result of a skilful structural renovation project where 600 sqm (6,500 sqft) of interiors have been refurbished to meet modern demands for comfort and ease.
What makes this home truly unique — particularly in this part of rural Italy where even the most luxurious villas seem to favour a more rustic style — is the cutting-edge design concept. The interiors of this unique, ancient treasure are in stark contrast to its medieval exterior and the virgin countryside that surrounds. Contemporary design and impeccable attention to detail are the order of the day… you could easily imagine yourself in a photo-shoot for a trendy architecture magazine.
Surrounded by rolling hills, vineyards and olive trees, the tower is poised proudly on the horizon as you approach through an avenue of trees protected by automated security gates. The beautiful pool and extensive grounds provide plenty of excuses to enjoy the warm weather to be expected in this part of Italy from spring to autumn.
Its central location is particularly attractive for guests who want to travel and see other parts of Italy – you can reach Perugia, Assisi, Cortona and Val d’Orcia with ease and Rome and Florence are just over 2 hours by car.
- Original 12th-century castle tower
- Rooftop terrace with 360-degree views
- Contemporary décor with designer and antique details
- Original artwork
- Large wood-burning fireplaces
- Jetted bathtubs and a steam shower
- Private salt-water swimming pool
- Gardens and outdoor areas for dining and socialising
- Double glazing
- A/C, Heating and Wi-Fi throughout
Bedrooms and Bathrooms
Two comfortable bedrooms per floor are accompanied by either a full dining room or a large lounge with seating for up to 12 people – making each level of this tower a fabulous, self-contained unit. Although they are not en-suite, there are two full bathrooms on each floor.
The exquisite, tailored design throughout the castle can be seen in the bedrooms. Each has a distinct character – from the Andy Warhol-themed bedroom to the “Heart” bedroom decked in French boudoir style to the Master Suite in pure white.
Bathrooms are sparkling clean, bright and modern, featuring either a jetted tub or steam shower. Views are lovely, too! There’s something rather magical about looking out of the window from a castle tower as you brush your teeth in the morning!
Extra beds for children are available upon request.
MASTER SUITE 1
Sleeps 2-3 – King-size bed or two Twins. Cosy living room with the option to add a single bed. TV. Bathroom with jetted bathtub and separate shower.
Sleeps 2 – Queen-size bed. TV. Bathroom with corner Jacuzzi, large tatami shower and double vanity.
Sleeps 2 – French (Double) bed with antique frame. Bathroom with walk-in shower.
Sleeps 2 – Queen-size bed. Large bathroom with tub and jetted steam shower.
Sleeps 2 – Queen-size bed. Bathroom with walk-in shower.
Sleeps 2 – Queen-size bed. Bathroom with walk-in shower.
ALL BEDROOMS INCLUDE HOTEL-QUALITY SHEETS, BEDDING, TOWELS, BATHROBES, LOCALLY-MADE TOILETRIES, BIDETS, HAIR DRYERS, TELEPHONES, HEATED TOWEL RAILS, INDIVIDUAL A/C, HEATING AND WI-FI.
The tower is divided into 5 levels and each floor is intended to be more or less self-sufficient. Each one has either a living room or a full dining room and there are three kitchens. There is plenty of seating for up to 12 guests on each floor – so you can pick and choose where you gather. The rooftop terrace with its sun beds and barbecue as well as the extensive exterior spaces tend to attract the most use.
If you are thinking about all the stairs you will have to navigate to enjoy the tower, you are in luck! The home has an elevator that serves all the floors, as well as a staircase to reach the terrace. And there is either a kitchen or a coffee/tea station on each level so you won’t have to go far to get some refreshments.
Lovely, landscaped gardens and a beautiful salt-water pool play host to your al fresco gatherings. It is easy to grasp why this hilltop was chosen as a strategic point to build a stronghold watchtower – from here you can see for miles around. You can even see the weather changing on the horizon… and sunsets and sunrises are amazing when viewed from the terrace.
- 3 fully-equipped kitchens
- Each floor has living areas
- Honesty bar
- TV with satellite
- Terrace with 360-degree views, sun beds and barbecue
- Salt-water swimming pool with fantastic views
- Footpaths throughout the grounds
- A/C, heating and Wi-Fi throughout
Rental Price Includes
- Daily cleaning and linen changes once a week
- Wi-Fi connection
Know Before You Go
- A one-of-a-kind experience
- Watch out for the friendly ghost named Barbara La Bella
- Bathrooms are not en-suite, but each floor has two bathrooms, one per room.
- One safe for the whole house.
- Gated automated security.
- Locally-made bathroom amenities and linens.
- Overnight stays in Italy’s popular tourist destinations are subject to a daily tourist tax payable to the host upon arrival or check out. Between 1-5 Euros per night per person depending on the location.
- Additional fees apply and will be confirmed at time of booking depending on the final number of guests and level of concierge service required for your group.
Staff and Services
- Daily cleaning
- Sheets changed once a week
- Chef optional ($)
Kids Services & Activities
- Kid-friendly property
- Highchairs and cribs available upon request
- Sorry, no pets allowed.
Activities Available On-Site or Nearby
- Shopping, art galleries, restaurants, antiquing, churches, monuments, sightseeing, walking, wineries, museums.
Additional Services ($€£)
- Itinerary planning – pre and post-arrival
- Round-trip airport transportation
- Grocery shopping service
- Babysitting services
- Organizing car rentals
- Booking tours, excursions and restaurant reservations.
- Other services may be available – just ask!