Quinta do Crasto
“Personal Home of Portugal’s Premier Wine Producer with Jaw-dropping Views of the Douro Valley.” - Reviewed by Lisa
WONDERFULLY WIXXY 5-STAR
MIGUEL PERFECT PICK “Make sure you taste the Roquette and Cazes red!”
Ever dreamed of owning your own vineyard? Now’s your chance! Stride between the bright, beautiful vines in the early morning and then amble back up the hill to purvey your kingdom.
If guests of Quinta do Crasto – and you’d recognize past guests by name – make it to this idyllic perch, then they have the opportunity to stay in a classy, comfortable home in working vineyards. Layers of history reveal themselves among the antiques as well as the photo and curio collections. Squidgy, comfy sofas and cozy corners add to the environment of well-being. And the views simply take your breath away! As you would expect, meals and wine selections are first-class. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to take personal tours of the cellars and even an introduction to the art of wine and port making.
Al fresco dining is the order of the day…and who wouldn’t want to take in the magnificent vistas from the large patios and pool area? Emphasis here is on the finest local produce – herbs and vegetables are grown right on the property in the market garden. You are invited to pick your own produce if you care to help out the chef.
Meals can be eaten al fresco in the large, bright dining room or even pool-side – both have the same stunning views which you will never tire of. The ladies in the kitchen are all locals and create everything from hearty regional specialties to light, simple meals.
FOCUS ON GASTRONOMY
Breakfast: Usually served buffet-style for everybody’s leisure. Includes a made-that-morning selection of breads and a hot-from-the-oven, not-to-be-missed Portuguese specialty – Pasteis Nata. Fresh juices, hams and cheeses, homemade marmalades and eggs-cooked-to-order are served daily.
Lunch: At your request, but typically a lighter fare accompanied by a selection of local cheese, fresh breads, fish, salads and simple cuts of meat.
Dinner: Quite the experience served al fresco (there are plenty of moveable hat lamps for chillier evenings) can be a simple buffet with salads, local Portuguese specialties and choice of house-made desserts. Or, it can be a sit-down, multi-course meal served in the elegant dining room. It goes without saying that all meals are expertly paired with the finest wines from Crasto and neighbouring vineyards.
Snacks and Quinta do Crasto wines are available all day – on the main terrace, poolside or snuggled in your living room.
- 130 hectares (70 planted with vines)
- Fully-functioning vineyard
- Wine boutique
- Swimming pool
- Gated grounds
- Private wine tastings and tours
Bedrooms and Bathrooms
Accommodations are comfortable and well-furnished offering a combination of modern-day conveniences and Old-World charm. Bedrooms and bathrooms follow a cheery theme with cherry red accents and grey polished concrete floors. Family antiques are dotted throughout. All rooms have heady views out over the valley or the vines.
MASTER SUITE 1
Sleeps 2 – Two Twin beds/ King-size bed. Room is situated at ground level with private access. Closet, heating and A/C. En-suite bathroom with rain shower, heated towel rail, double vanity and bidet.
Sleeps 2 – Two Twin beds/ King-size bed. Closet, heating and A/C. En-suite bathroom with rain shower, heated towel rail and vanity.
Sleeps 2 – Two Twin beds/ King-size bed. Closet, heating and A/C. Access to shared patio. En-suite bathroom with rain shower.
Sleeps 2 – Two Twin beds/ King-size bed. En-suite bathroom.
ALL BEDROOMS INCLUDE HOTEL-QUALITY SHEETS, BEDDING, TOWELS, TOILETRIES, HAIR DRYERS AND BATHROBES.
Spread between the two homes you’ll find all rooms offer country chic comfort. Both homes offer layers of history, photos, books and collections. You know you are in a very special place that belongs to deep-rooted, well-educated people. The taste level is old school and mixes comfort with a lifestyle from another era. Warped floor boards, antiques and comfy furniture all add to the ambiance.
This cozy, 2-level home is furnished with fascinating curio collections, prints, art and elegant country antiques. A spacious, elegant dining room seats 14 and is the perfect venue for an important celebration or a relaxed breakfast on a chilly morn.
- 2 bedroom suites
- Spacious dining room
- Dining patio
- Pool patio
A single-story home with a polished living room – perfect for hunkering down with a good book and a great glass of Port!
- 2 bedroom suites
- Cozy living room
Rental Price Includes
- Full-time Housekeeper
- Daily cleaning and laundry
- Daily breakfast and dinner
- Full-time wait staff
- Wine tastings
Know Before You Go
- Steep terrain around the property means some uphill ambles
- Rubber-soled, low-heeled shoes are advised
- Travelling by road around hairpin bends offers incredible views – but can make for a daunting drive
- Communal areas reflect a private home
- Summers are hot
- Evenings can be chilly
Staff and Services
- Breakfast service
- Wait staff
Weeny Wixxers Services and Activities
- Please contact us for details
- Please contact us for details
Activities Available On-Site or Nearby
- The obvious activity here is to drink wine! Hang in the infinity-edge pool and enjoy the fruits of the vines. Other activities include golf, wine tastings, vineyard visits and yoga.
- Personalized Vineyard Tours and Tastings: An on-site tour will introduce you the wine and Port-making process. Manuel and Teresa, your hosts, can also recommend other great Quintas for you to visit.
- Hiking: What a wonderful way to take in the sheer beauty of your surroundings! Directions are available so you can find your way to the surrounding vineyards for an on-foot tasting experience.
- Picnic: An absolutely favourite way to spend a day here is to hike up the hill beyond the furthest-reaching vines and lavish in a spectacular picnic that will be set up for you by the staff.
- Helicopter Service: A helipad on the property provides the flexibility to get you wherever you’d like to go for a quick day trip. This efficient way to travel can not only whisk you from Lisbon or Porto in a matter of minutes, but can effectively deliver you to nearby golf courses, restaurants, hotels, shopping and more.
- River Boat: Douro means gold in Portuguese. Here, you have a golden opportunity to enjoy the river as well as the many wine houses and restaurants along this beautiful body of water. Enjoy a day – or even an overnight stay – on a charming river boat cruise.
- Itinerary planning – pre and post-arrival
- Round-trip airport transportation
- Grocery shopping service
- Babysitting services
- Organizing car and golf cart rentals
- Booking tours, excursions and restaurant reservations
- Other services may be available – just ask!