Solar dos Carvalhos
"Majesty Abounds in this Completely-Restored, 18th-Century Manor Home." - Reviewed by Sofia
SOFIA PERFECT PICK – “I am always impressed by the uniqueness and authenticity of these typical old manor houses, which are part of our cultural identity in Portugal. I love their traditional balconies, terraces and guillotine windows with wooden shutters. But I especially admire their time-honoured stone benches – called “namoradeiras” – that sit beneath the windows.”
The first impression inspired by this house as you enter is “WOW”! Its impressive double central, stone staircase takes you to a beautiful balcony with an endless view of the countryside and access to the suites on the first level. You just know that Solar dos Carvalhos is about to deliver some special memories for you and your companions.
This typical 16th-century Portuguese manor house commanding 70 hectares of farmland was totally restored in 2015 with traditional materials. Having remained in the same family for five generations, its recent renovations give Solar dos Carvalhos a new lease of life. Besides updating its exquisite interiors, the home has maintained all its traditional characteristics, history and charm.
Guests will certainly enjoy the outside spaces as much as its interiors. A lovely private swimming pool on a manicured lawn surrounded by oak trees provides views of the countryside. Meanwhile, an old granite irrigation tank has been transformed into a picturesque natural pool that is shallow enough for children to play in or for guests to cool off in the water.
Besides the home’s elegance and comfort, one of the highlights of choosing Solar dos Carvalhos for your Portuguese escape is its location. You’ll be surprised to find the countryside so close to the city. You get a feeling of being within the heart of nature yet only a few minutes from the attractions of the town.
Just 1.5km from the centre of Castelo Branco in the Beira Baixa region, it won’t take long for you to discover that this area of Portugal is one of the most charming and unique. Take time to visit the medieval castle in Castelo Branco, fall in love with the traditional embroidered quilts and sample the local cheese or attend a cheese-making workshop.
- Fully-equipped, modern kitchen
- Indoor and outdoor dining areas
- Outdoor leisure areas
- Private swimming pool
- Wood burning fireplaces
- Heating in bedrooms
- A/C throughout
- Wi-Fi throughout
- Television in the living room
- Daily housekeeping
- Short drive to the centre of Castelo Branco
Bedrooms and Bathrooms
Bedrooms are spacious, bright and full of light. You can enjoy peaceful views of endless countryside through beautiful guillotine windows with wooden shutters and curtains. Bellow the windows are original stone benches called “namoradeiras” in Portuguese, meaning “benches where people flirt”. These are fabulous for reading a book, meditating on the beautiful countryside views and, of course, whispering sweet-nothings!
You are sure to rest peacefully, enjoying top-quality embroidered monogram linens and comfortable mattresses. With no televisions in the bedrooms to distract your sleep and the fresh country air, sleep will come easily.
The ground floor bedroom is suitable for guests with limited mobility.
Sleeps 2 – King/Two Twins. Closet. En-suite bathroom with rain shower and bidet.
Sleeps 2 – King/Two Twins. Closet. En -suite bathroom with rain shower and bidet.
Sleeps 2 – King/Two Twins. Closet. En-suite bathroom with rain shower and bidet
Sleeps 2 – King/Two Twins. Niche with clothes rail. En-suite bathroom with rain shower and bidet.
BEDROOM 5 – GROUND FLOOR
Sleeps 2 – King/Two Twins. Closet. Access to shared patio. Interior access ramp. En-suite bathroom with jetted shower and mobility grab rails. Suitable for guests with limited mobility.
ALL BEDROOMS INCLUDE HOTEL-QUALITY BEDDING, BATHROBES, TOWELS, TOILETRIES, HAIR DRYERS, HEATING, HEATED TOWEL RAILS, A/C AND WI-FI.
The general ambience of the home is charming and full of character where a timeless elegance pervades. It is full of light with beautiful details that are not there by chance but delicately chosen. There is a distinct feeling that the house is full of stories to be told as well as created. It is a great family home or a place to gather with your favourite friends.
The beautiful living room, with a wonderful fireplace, will tempt you to book your visit during the cooler months just to listen to the wood crackle as you contemplate your next day of sightseeing or long walks in the country.
Another fireplace takes centre stage in the spacious formal dining room that can host up to 14 people. Both rooms give access to a charming patio where you can enjoy a glass of good Portuguese wine, read a great book, watch the sunset or enjoy dinner with your companions.
The kitchen is fully equipped with modern equipment. It includes a scullery and a small area where you might grab a snack or feed your children. It opens to a smaller patio where you might choose to eat breakfast or enjoy snacks.
- Fully-equipped, modern kitchen
- Large, formal dining room
- Cozy dining area
- Large living room
- Cable TV in living room
- Wood-burning fireplaces
- Outdoor patios and multiple living and dining areas
- Self-service honesty bar with price list
- Wi-Fi throughout
Rental Price Includes
- Daily housekeeping and linen changes twice a week
- Wi-Fi connection
- Preparation of fireplaces (depending on the time of the year)
- Water and Nespresso available in the kitchen
Know Before You Go
- TV in the living room only
- Twin beds can be made into a King upon request
- Both feather and antiallergic pillow options
- Laundry on site as well as full laundry service available on request ($)
Staff and Services
- Daily housekeeping
- Change of sheets at least twice a week
- Breakfast service (ingredients charged at cost)
Kids Services & Activities
- Suitable for children aged 10+
- Please contact us for details.
Activities Available On-Site or Nearby
- Swimming, walking, cycling, bird watching, wildlife viewing, photography, scenic drives; Autumn foliage
- Hunting, sightseeing, historical monuments, churches, gastronomy and wine tasting experiences nearby.
- Boat trips in the TejoInternational Natural Park (upon request and availability). Additional charge
- Horse riding (5 minutes from Quinta dos Carvalhos, upon request and availability) with additional charge
- Free workshop where you can learn to make regional artisanal cheese (5 minutes from Solar dos Carvalhos and on request).
- Circuits on foot, in the Sierras of Gardunhaand Estrela. A guide is available upon request (additional fees apply).
- Visiting the Castle in Castelo Branco
- Visiting the Schist Villages
- Visiting Monsanto, the most emblematic historic village in Portugal. Monsanto is known as “The most Portuguese village of Portugal”.
- Visit the Jewish route, including the house of Amadeo Sousa Cardoso, the heroic Portuguese Ambassador in Paris during WWII
- Dão area vineyards and award-winning wine tastings at Casa de Santar
- Personal wine tastings and Quinta tours
- Itinerary planning – pre and post-arrival
- Round-trip airport transportation
- Private tour guide
- Chauffeured transportation
- Grocery shopping service
- Lunches, dinners and private chef
- Babysitting services
- Organizing car and golf cart rentals
- Booking tours, excursions and restaurant reservations
- Other services may be available – just ask!