Historical Douro Quinta on Hilltop with Pool and Stunning Views
Take a deep breath and allow yourself to immerse yourself in a slice of Portuguese history! - Reviewed by Sofia
Commanding a stunning hilltop location overlooking the breathtaking Douro Valley region in Portugal, this historic quinta (traditional Portuguese mansion/villa) was once part of an extensive monastic estate. It stands tall at an impressive height of 700 meters where the views of the surrounding landscape are truly awe-inspiring. Today, spanning a sprawling property of 43 hectares, you can explore vineyards and hundreds olive trees to get you in the mood for an authentic Douro experience.
The villa itself is a reminder of the glory days of times of old, combining old-world charm with modern amenities and comforts. The interiors are spacious, well-lit, and lovingly decorated with some antique details balanced with more contemporary furniture and a modern flair throughout.
The outdoor area is equally impressive, featuring a large, heated swimming pool, a sun terrace, and an outdoor dining area, perfect for al fresco meals. The estate also boasts lovely grounds where you can take a leisurely stroll amidst the lush greenery and soak in the tranquility of the surroundings.
The villa provides a unique opportunity to experience the Douro Valley in all its glory, from the world-renowned wines to the breathtaking landscapes. With its rich history, stunning architecture, and unparalleled amenities, this luxury villa is the epitome of modern Portuguese farm-comfort, making it the perfect destination for a relaxing vacation.
- Historical home
- Amazing Douro valley views
- 7 hectares of vineyards and 15-hectare olive grove
- Infinity pool (heated)
- Covered patio terrace
- Al fresco dining
- Independent pool apartment
- Sun loungers
- 4 fireplaces
- Fully equipped kitchen with firewood oven
- Cable TV lounge room
- High Speed Wi-Fi (fibre)
Bedrooms and Bathrooms
The villa can comfortably accommodate a large group, with six modern bedrooms, many offering a stunning view of the valley, including an apartment for those in your group seeking additional privacy.
MASTER SUITE 1 – MAIN HOUSE, FIRST FLOOR
Sleeps 2 – King or 2 twin-size beds. En-suite bathroom with vanity, rain head shower and freestanding bathtub. Vineyard view.
BEDROOM 2– MAIN HOUSE, FIRST FLOOR
Sleeps 2 – King or 2 twin-size beds. En-suite bathroom with vanity and rain head shower. Vineyard view.
BEDROOM 3 – MAIN HOUSE, FIRST FLOOR
Sleeps 2 – Queen-size bed. En-suite bathroom. En-suite bathroom with vanity and rain head shower. Vineyard view.
BEDROOM 4 – MAIN HOUSE, FIRST FLOOR
Sleeps 2 – King-size bed. En-suite bathroom with vanity and shower. Courtyard view.
BEDROOM 5 – GROUND FLOOR
Sleeps 2 – King-size bed. Office room. En-suite bathroom with double vanities and rainhead shower. Access to shared patio and pool. Two balcony windows. Vineyard view.
BEDROOM 6 – POOL APARTMENT
Sleeps 2 – King-size bed. Kitchen. Living room with fireplace and dining area. A/C. En-suite bathroom with vanity and shower. Access to shared patio and pool. Forest view and floor-to-ceiling windows.
ALL BEDROOMS INCLUDE FULL-LENGTH MIRROR, CLOSETS, SHEETS, BEDDING, TOWELS, ROBES, HEATED TOWEL RAILS, SHUTTERS, HAIR DRYER, HEATING, AND WI-FI.
With four fireplaces, the home is cozy and inviting, and the fully equipped kitchen, complete with a firewood oven, is perfect for preparing delicious meals.
Outside, the infinity pool and terrace with its sun loungers, and garden make it the perfect place to unwind, while the covered patio terrace, complete with a fireplace and living area, is ideal for cozy evenings. The al fresco dining area is perfect for enjoying meals amidst the beautiful surroundings.
The property also boasts an independent pool apartment for additional privacy.
Rental Price Includes
- Maximum capacity for this home is 12 adults but can accommodate up to 14 guests (upon request €) if you sleep 2 children on the sofas in Bedroom 5.
- Daily housekeeping (am)
- Linens and towels change every 3 days
- 24/7 Concierge
- Itinerary planning, pre- and post-arrival
Know Before You Go
- Smoking is allowed in a specific area only.
- No smoking bonfires or fireworks allowed in the gardens due to fire risk
- While this home accepts children of all ages, children must be supervised at all times, especially on the terraces.
- Strictly no unauthorized guests except those on the rental booking.
- Pool is heated with sun panels and temperature is maintained with a pool cover.
- There is a steep road to access this home, some larger minibuses may not be able to pass, though vehicles for up to 20 guests should have no problems.
- The high altitude means colder nights
- Fiber optic internet with wi-fi signal expanders throughout the home for good coverage.
- A unique feature of this home is that it is located on a working farm, therefore extra care must be taken by guests not to engage in activities that might interfere with the running of the farm.
- A/C only available at the pool apartment
Staff and Services
Kids Services & Activities
- While this home accepts children of all ages, children must be supervised at all times, especially on the terraces and in the steep areas. Owner is not liable for any accidents.
- 3 cribs for babies available.
- Sorry, no pets allowed
Activities Available On-Site or Nearby
- Wine and Port Tastings, Grape Harvest Experience, Olive Harvest Experience, Yoga, Retreats, Honey Experiences, Hikes with trails starting from Salzedas.
- There are secret places where visits can be arranged: the olive oil mill (azenha), the water mine, a jeep tour around the quinta, a picnic on the higher ground
Additional Services ($€£)
- Dinner or Lunch service
- Round-trip airport transportation
- In-villa spa service
- Grocery shopping service
- Tours and excursions
- Fitness personnel
- Babysitting services
- Infant equipment rentals
- Security personnel
- Private guides
- Other services may be available – just ask!
Perfect ForFamiliesPhoto shootsEventsNature LoversHikersRomanic Style Architecture afficionadosAway from it all
“I want guests to experience the most exclusive services and experiences in Douro but still feeling like they are at home.”