Rural Douro Retreat Suspended Between Vineyards and the River
“Delightful Environmentally-Friendly Suites” - Reviewed by Lisa
This remarkably enviro-chic retreat housing eight super-cool suites is suspended above the vineyards, giving it unprecedented views over the calm and tranquil waters of the Lower Douro River, which is a leisurely few-minutes stroll below.
Engulfed in nature, you will be surprised at the remarkable level of sophistication and attention to detail that has gone into making each of the suites uber-comfy and cosseting. At this annex to the Quinta do Vallado vineyards – one can only feel that the old worlds of wine and hospitality have fused in perfect harmony with nature and the 21st century.
Eco is the theme here. Throughout the property, you’ll find many quiet locations next to water pools and in the vineyards where your senses will be filled with aromas of wildflowers, herbs and vistas of lush plant and birdlife – not to mention the magnificent Douro River.
- Infinity swimming pool
- Large outdoor deck
- Huge patios
- Boat dock with 2 pontoon boats
- Working vineyardand wine boutique
- Laundry rooms
Bedrooms and Bathrooms
All bedrooms and bathrooms are beautifully thought through and equipped with every attention to detail: automated blackout blinds, eco-friendly clean gas fireplaces… even lavender sachets next to the pillows.
All rooms face the river and have lovely sweeping views. Each one has its own private balcony with chaises – perfect for taking a Portuguese siesta or savoring a fantastic glass of Vallado wine.
BEDROOMS 1 – 6
Each room sleeps 2 – Two Twin or King-size bed. En-suite bathroom.
SUITES 7 + 8
Each suite sleeps 2 – King-size bed. These suites are situated amongst the vines about 100m from the main house. Each has its own entrance, private patio, fantastic views of the river, sitting area and a large bathroom.
ALL BEDROOMS INCLUDE HOTEL-QUALITY SHEETS, BEDDING, TOWELS, TOILETRIES, HAIRDRYERS, BATHROBES, BLACKOUT BLINDS, GAS FIREPLACES, SAFETY DEPOSIT BOXES, IPOD DOCKS AND FLAT-SCREEN TVS.
Luxe lounging and dining take place on the patio and the “great room” with lots of squidgy, cracked leather sofas, games tables, reading and relaxing areas. One yearns to snuggle against the chilly evenings around the dramatic indoor fire feature yet enjoying the mellow evening light in the open air is just as appealing.
The kitchen/bar is open plan with an array of great snacks offered throughout the day. A large, wooden deck runs the length of the great room – perfect for al fresco dining, relaxing and general scenery contemplation.
Meals are taken in the great room and deck or poolside.
Rental Price Includes
- Daily housekeeping
- Buffet breakfast
- Food preparation for lunch, dinner and snacks (pre-arranged menus – food and beverages €)
- Wine tasting
Know Before You Go
- No access to the kitchen for guests. Staff prepare pre-arranged meals (food and beverages (€)
- Extra beds available upon request (€)
- Staff from 8am to midnight with night-watch from 12am-8am
- Bathrooms are very well appointed but on the small side
- Summers are hot
- Evenings can be chilly
- Rubber-soled, low-heeled shoes are advised for exploring the vineyards
- Hilly terrain around the property may mean some uphill ambles
Staff and Services
- Chef available (€)
- Laundry service
Kids Services & Activities
- Children welcome
- Cribs available (max one per room)
- Pets strictly upon request
Activities Available On-Site or Nearby
- The obvious activity here is to drink wine! Hang in the infinity-edge pool and enjoy the fruits of the vines. Other activities include golf, wine tastings, vineyard visits and yoga.
- Personalized Vineyard Tours and Tastings: An on-site tour will introduce you the wine and Port-making process.
- Hiking: What a wonderful way to take in the sheer beauty of your surroundings! Directions are available so you can find your way to the surrounding vineyards for an on-foot tasting experience.
- Picnic: An absolutely favourite way to spend a day here is to hike up the hill beyond the furthest-reaching vines and lavish in a spectacular picnic that will be set up for you by the staff.
- Helicopter Service: A helipad on the property provides the flexibility to get you wherever you’d like to go for a quick day trip. This efficient way to travel can not only whisk you from Lisbon or Porto in a matter of minutes, but can effectively deliver you to nearby golf courses, restaurants, hotels, shopping and more.
- River Boat: Douro means gold in Portuguese. Here, you have a golden opportunity to enjoy the river as well as the many wine houses and restaurants along this beautiful body of water. Enjoy a day – or even an overnight stay – on a charming riverboat cruise.
- Itinerary planning – pre and post-arrival
- Round-trip airport transportation
- Grocery shopping services
- Babysitting services
- Organizing car and golf cart rentals
- Booking tours, excursions and restaurant reservations
- Other services may be available – just ask!
"Let us guide you to experience the true essence of the most unique wine region in the world."