Quite literally translated as the “Happy Coast,” Costa Alegre is home to some of the region’s most exclusive homes, not mentioned some of the most stunning beaches just a couple of hours south from Puerto Vallarta and an hour or so north of Manzanillo.
The breath-taking coastline encompasses a number of quaint villages and towns as well as the exclusive gated developments of Careyes and Cuixmala just 30 minutes apart. From Cabo Corrientes in the northeast to Barra de Navidad in the southwest, you will find nature at its most supreme, with a wide offering of boat tours, fishing trips, water sport activities, ATV adventures, jungle expeditions and more.
Nature lovers will also be attracted to this region’s commitment to protecting the natural habitat of the local flora and fauna. In the 1990s, the coastline was declared an Ecological Tourist Corridor by presidential decree. With no high-rise hotels marring your views and affecting the local wildlife, visitors can engage with nature unencumbered. You will also find the state’s most important turtle protection camps along the beaches where hundreds of sea turtles return each year to lay their eggs.
- On the Pacific Coast of Mexico
- Coastline between Cabo Corrientes and Manzanillo
- 1 hour from Manzanillo Airport
- 2-hr drive from Puerto Vallarta Airport
- 4-hr drive from Guadalajara
EXPERIENCES ON COSTA ALEGRE
- Water sports: Surfing, SUP, diving, spear fishing, snorkeling, deep sea fishing, kayaking and sailing.
- Polo: Watch a polo match or learn to play on the perfectly-manicured polo fields of the Careyes Polo Club. 60 ponies are available, as are stick and ball lessons – so take advantage and learn the sport of kings.
- Golf: Tee off at El Tamarindo, a beautiful golf course situated within a 2000-acre natural reserve. Located 20 minutes south of Careyes, it offers great golf and stunning vistas of the Pacific.
- Beaches: Numerous long pristine beaches and sheltered bays.
- Horseback Riding: The Careyes Polo Club offers riding lessons, horseback riding and other equestrian activities.
- Turtle camps: Take part in baby turtle releases or volunteer at the camps.